Google wants to be your Internet

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jan 20 19:58:44 UTC 2007

* Rodrick Brown:

> "Right now somewhat more than half of all Internet bandwidth is being
> used for BitTorrent traffic, which is mainly video. Yet if you
> surveyed your neighbors you'd find that few of them are BitTorrent
> users. Less than 5 percent of all Internet users are presently
> consuming more than 50 percent of all bandwidth."

s/BitTtorrent/porn, and we've been there all along.

I think the real issue here is that Google's video traffic does *not*
clog the network, but would be distributed through private networks
(sometimes Google's own, or through another company's CDN) and
injected into the Internet very close to the consumer.  No one is able
to charge for that traffic because if they did, Google would simply
inject it someplace else.  At best your, one of your peerings would go
out of balance, or at worst, *you* would have to pay for Google's
traffic.