HTML email, was Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jan 18 20:08:35 UTC 2007

> Back in the day, pre-CIRA, .CA was managed according to rules which
> included the restriction that a single company was only allowed one
> domain name. So, to choose a company at random, General Motors Canada
> was welcome to GMC.CA but they couldn't also register PONTIAC.CA or
> GM.CA or GENERALMOTORS.CA.

for those of us who manage smaller cctlds pro bono, it is also good
for our sanity, especially when paired with the requirement that the
registrant be real and in-country.

it also encourages the isps in-country to take over the cctld, which
is good.  they can charge a bit for the service and multiple name
registrants become a good thing.

e.g. nigeria is finally running their own internally, though we are
not moving the visible primary and admin poc until it is past test
phase.  this is a long-awaited day.

randy