HTML email, was Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jan 18 13:43:37 UTC 2007

On 17-Jan-2007, at 21:05, Joseph Jackson wrote:

> Proper education for whom, the people setting up the site probably
> know
> this already.  It's the bosses and marketing that don't care about DNS
> structure.  Damn it they want mazdausa.com and not usa.mazda.com and
> they will have it their way!
>
> At least that's how it is most places I've seen.

Back in the day, pre-CIRA, .CA was managed according to rules which
included the restriction that a single company was only allowed one
domain name. So, to choose a company at random, General Motors Canada
was welcome to GMC.CA but they couldn't also register PONTIAC.CA or
GM.CA or GENERALMOTORS.CA.

I think that policy was good for the DNS, but it was apparently
widely hated by everybody else, despite the fact that .CA names at
that time were free. .CA is no longer managed according to such rules.

Joe