Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Travis H. travis+ml-nanog at subspacefield.org
Thu Jan 18 02:09:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:35:25PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> Oh I should be clear too. We use SI powers of 10, just like for
> bandwidth, not powers of two like for storage. We quote in Megabytes
> because caps are usually in gigabytes, so it's more clear for users.

IEC 60027-2 prefixes eliminate the ambiguity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Basically, to make base-2, replace letters 3 and 4 of the prefix with
"bi" for binary.
--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>