How big a network is routed these days?

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Wed Jan 17 17:19:46 UTC 2007

I'm interested as to why RIRs dont set the minimum PI allocatable
to /24 in order to fit with the current trend.

I mean, I can see the reason for smaller allocations where an LIR routes
and aggregates both but these are rare and probably legacy examples.

Changing the allocation policy such that a /24 minimum exists for PI
would be a good thing IMHO, forcing people to either apply for portions
of PA space from LIRs (and having LIRs do what they should be doing)
  or lie through their teeth to get a /24 (but then not try and wonder
why anything smaller is not routed correctly)

Of course I'm probably opening the proverbial can of worms about who
should or shouldn't apply and how they do, but I do find the possibility
of obtaining a sub /24 PI allocation a little odd in this day and age.

Dave.