AFP article on Taiwan cable repair effort

D.H. van der Woude dirkvanderwoude at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 14:04:17 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Ingo Flaschberger <if at xip.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nice flash animation from alcatel how submarine cables get laid and
> repaired:
> http://www1.alcatel-lucent.com/submarine/products/marine/index.htm
>
> bye,
>         ingo

Thanks for the link, which brought me to the page
http://www1.alcatel-lucent.com/submarine/vessels/index.htm
where their vessels are decribed.

Their specs bring up something (at to least to me) of interest.
The popular story is always "in the 90-ties so much submarine
(trans-Atlantic & -Pacific fiber was laid that it will take decades
to fill it up. And the bust of 2000 seemed proof enough.

However, from the specs of Alcatel's 5 vessels one learns
that 4 of them are effectively from 2002 (!).

So did Alcatel some anti-cyclic investing - or did they know
more than others?

grtz

Each day, one day is added to our past, and thus one
day subtracted from our future. That is why the future
ought to be simpler than the past. Why is it then, that
we always wrestle with the future?
--Nico Baken