Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Jan 11 07:18:09 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:19 PM, Thomas Leavitt wrote:

> It seems to me that multi-cast is a technical solution for the
> bandwidth consumption problems precipitated by real-time Internet
> video broadcast, but it doesn't seem to me that the bulk of current
> (or even future) Internet video traffic is going to be amenable to
> distribution via multi-cast - or, at least, separate and apart from
> whatever happens with multi-cast, a huge and growing volume of
> video traffic will be flowing over the 'net...

I would fully agree with this.

> I don't think consumers are going to accept having to wait for a
> "scheduled broadcast" of whatever piece of video content they want
> to view - at least if the alternative is being able to download and
> watch it nearly

That's the pull model. The push model will also exist. Both will make
money.

> immediately. That said, for the most popular content with the
> widest audience, scheduled multi-cast makes sense... especially
> when the alternative is waiting for a large download to finish -
> contrawise, it doesn't seem reasonable to be constantly multi-
> casting *every* piece of video content anyone might ever want to
> watch (that in itself would consume an insane amount of bandwidth).
> How many pieces of video content are there on YouTube? How many
> more can we expect to emerge over the next decade, given the ever
> decreasing cost of entry for reasonably decent video production?

Lots. Remember, of course, Sturgeon's law. But, lots. If you want
numbers, 10^4 channels, billions of pieces of uncommercial content,
and millions of pieces of commercial content.

> All of which, to me, leaves the fundamental issue of how the
> upsurge in traffic is going to be handled left unresolved.

I think that technically, we have a pretty good idea how. I think
that the real fundamental question is whose business models will
allow them to make a profit from this upsurge.

> Thomas

Regards
Marshall