Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Thomas Leavitt thomas at thomasleavitt.org
Thu Jan 11 04:19:00 UTC 2007

It seems to me that multi-cast is a technical solution for the bandwidth
consumption problems precipitated by real-time Internet video broadcast,
but it doesn't seem to me that the bulk of current (or even future)
Internet video traffic is going to be amenable to distribution via
multi-cast - or, at least, separate and apart from whatever happens with
multi-cast, a huge and growing volume of video traffic will be flowing
over the 'net...

I don't think consumers are going to accept having to wait for a
"scheduled broadcast" of whatever piece of video content they want to
view - at least if the alternative is being able to download and watch
it nearly immediately. That said, for the most popular content with the
widest audience, scheduled multi-cast makes sense... especially when the
alternative is waiting for a large download to finish - contrawise, it
doesn't seem reasonable to be constantly multi-casting *every* piece of
video content anyone might ever want to watch (that in itself would
consume an insane amount of bandwidth). How many pieces of video content
are there on YouTube? How many more can we expect to emerge over the
next decade, given the ever decreasing cost of entry for reasonably
decent video production?

All of which, to me, leaves the fundamental issue of how the upsurge in
traffic is going to be handled left unresolved.

Thomas

--
Thomas Leavitt - thomas at thomasleavitt.org - 831-295-3917 (cell)

*** Independent Systems and Network Consultant, Santa Cruz, CA ***