Internet Video: The Next Wave of Massive Disruption to the US Peering Ecosystem (v1.2)

Daniel Golding dgolding at t1r.com
Wed Jan 10 21:52:05 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 12:33 PM, William B. Norton wrote:

> Why are folks turning away 10G orders?

Some of this depends on how much you are willing to pay. The issue is
as much 10G orders at today's transit prices as it is the capacity.
We're used to paying less per unit for greater capacity, but when
we're asking networks to sell capacity in chunks as large as the ones
they use to build their backbones, that may simply not work.

One other issue is that willingness to sell 10G is one vital
competitive distinguisher in an otherwise largely commodity transit
market. There have been rumors that older legacy carriers wish to
punish more agile competitors for daring to "steal" 10G customers
away from them, in spite of the fact that those older carriers have
lots of trouble delivering 10G.

- Dan