Internet Video: The Next Wave of Massive Disruption to the US Peering Ecosystem (v1.2)

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Wed Jan 10 19:36:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:33:41AM -0800, William B. Norton wrote:

> Why are folks turning away 10G orders?

Quite simple...

We've found a fair number of networks with no 10GE equipment and no
budget to add it. Doubtless, some of these don't have OC192 capacity
either. Others have 10G in the offing but are still putting it through
"acceptance" testing and won't sell it for several more months.

Others will happily sell you a 10GE circuit but then limit you to some
fraction of that circuit because of internal limitations within their
nodes. (I've seen this on more than one network.)

And in any case, some of these don't have the egress capacity either
from the local node to their backbone or to their peers/customers to
be able to swallow that kind of traffic anyway.

Truth be told, there really are not that many networks out there at
present that are capable of accepting a 10G customer who actually
intends to USE 10G. And believe it or not, there are still those out
there that believe that customers aren't going to be able to pass a
full 10G and therefore see no need to offer it at the edge.

Currently, for all but the most intensive users, NxGE or NxOC48 still
seems to be preferred termination. (Often this is also partly a factor
of minimum commits and varying methods of billing.) This is changing
but it's happening more slowly than I would like to see.

My $0.37 (inflation's a pain)

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard