Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Wed Jan 10 16:01:49 UTC 2007

Alexander Harrowell wrote:
> Analogous to the question of whether digicams, iPods etc will
> eventually be absorbed by mobile devices.

I guess eventually it will go the other way around as well.  I was
very surprised not to see Steve Jobs announce an iPod Nano-Phone.
A iPod Nano with bare-bone GSM functionality as provided by one
of the recent single-chip developments from TI and SiLabs AeroFon.
Would fit nicely and cover 85% of all use cases, that is voice and
SMS.  True mass-market.  Pop in your SIM and you're ready to rock.
A slightly enhanced click-wheel would make a nice input device too
(and no, do not emulate a rotary phone).  All together would cost
only $15 more than the base iPod.  GSM single chip is really cheap.

Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

--
Andre