Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Gian Constantine constantinegi at corp.earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 13:37:16 UTC 2007

I think it depends more on one's position within the industry and the
depth of their pockets.

Every business model will depend on the type of content one can offer
to subscribers. While their is a market for niche content, which is
relatively easy and cheap to acquire, the returns are small. Smaller
market will translate to smaller returns. For a small company this
may be fine. But, this model will unlikely revolutionize the video
distribution industry. Content with broad appeal is extremely
difficult and expensive to acquire. Ultimately, this dictates the
business model.

It is going to take a substantial amount of time to refocus the
entrenched culture of content providers on new delivery methods.
Often the terms content providers present are too cumbersome and
restrictive to allow a profitable business case.

Gian Anthony Constantine
Senior Network Design Engineer
Earthlink, Inc.
Office: 404-748-6207