Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jan 10 10:42:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> between handling 30K unicast streams, and 30K multicast streams that
> each have only one or at most 2-3 viewers?

My opinion on the downside of video multicast is that if you want it
realtime your SLA figures on acceptable packet loss goes down from
fractions of a percent into the thousands of a percent, at least with
current implementations of video.

Imagine internet multicast and having customers complain about bad video
quality and trying to chase down that last 1/100000 packet loss that
makes peoples video pixelate every 20-30 minutes, and the video stream
doesn't even originate in your network?

For multicast video to be easier to implement we need more robust video
codecs that can handle jitter and packet loss that are currently present
in networks and handled acceptably by TCP for unicast.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se