Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Tue Jan 9 22:41:56 UTC 2007

On Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 07:52:02AM +0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
> Given that the broadcast model for streaming content
> is so successful, why would you want to use the
> Internet for it? What is the benefit?

How many channels can you get on your (terrestrial) broadcast receiver?

If you want more, your choices are satellite or cable. To get cable, you
need to be in a cable area. To get satellite, you need to stick a dish on
the side of your house, which you may not want to do, or may not be allowed
to do.

With IPTV, you just need a phoneline (and be close enough to the exchange/CO
to get decent xDSL rate). In the UK, I'm already delivering 40+ channels over
IPTV (over inter-provider multicast, to any UK ISP that wants it).

Simon