Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Tue Jan 9 19:55:51 UTC 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 7:17 PM, Fergie wrote:
> Gian Constantine <constantinegi at corp.earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> If demand for variety in service provider selection grows with the
>> proliferation of IPTV, we may see the required motivation for
>> inter-AS multicast, which places us in a position moving to the
>> large multicast space available in IPv6.
>
> I don't think I'd be hanging my hat on IPv6 operational frobs at
> this moment in time.

This might be sooner than you think.  Microsoft has already begun
introduction of PNRP.  This is a peer-to-peer distribution technology
for encapsulating IPv6 within IPv4.  It also works through IPv6
gateways (not included by Microsoft).  The frobs would be any Vista
or XP box running this protocol allowing a new type of multicast to
exist (a proprietary one at that).  Perhaps that might explain the
non-partisan computing bill-boards. : )

Singapore is restricting bandwidth on bittorrent, so one might wonder
whether the same response is possible with this technology should it
prove problematic.  With many announcing the onset of Web 3.0, 10
mbit connectivity would suggest sustained data rates at this level
should not be a problem.  Photons are cheaper than physical media.
The question might be whether Ethernet can handle media delivered on-
demand over IP.

-Doug