What comes AFTER YouTube?

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Tue Jan 9 15:39:28 UTC 2007

> Not only does this type of programming require real-time
> distribution, as these shows are quite often cheaper to produce than
> pre-recorded entertainment or documentaries they tend to fill a large
> portion of the schedule.

And since there are so many of these reality shows in
existence and the existing broadcast technology seems to
perfectly meet the needs of the show producers,
what is the point of trying to shift these shows
to the Internet?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I do believe that the amount of video content on
the Internet will increase dramatically over the next
few years, just as it has in the past. But I don't
believe that existing video businesses, such as
TV channels, are going to shift to Internet distribution
other than through specialized services.

The real driver behind the future increase in
video on the Internet is the falling cost of video
production and the widespread knowledge of how to
create watchable video. Five years ago in high school,
my son was taking a video production course. Where do
you think YouTube gets their content?

In the past, it was broadband to the home, webcams
and P2P that drove the increase in video content, but
the future is not just more of the same. YouTube has
leveraged the increased level of video production skills
in the population but only in a crude way.

Let's put it this way. How much traffic on the net was
a result of dead-tree newpapers converting to Internet
delivery, and how much was due to the brand-new concept
of blogging?

--Michael Dillon