Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Jan 9 14:10:12 UTC 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 1:51 AM, Bora Akyol wrote:

[...]

> I would argue that other than sports (and some news) events, there is
> pretty much no content that needs to be real time.

I'm not sure I agree. I've noticed that almost any form of live TV,
with the exception of news and sports programming, uses the benefit
of real time transmission to allow audience interaction. For instance:

- Phone in discussion and quiz shows
- Any show with voting
- Video request shows

Not only does this type of programming require real-time
distribution, as these shows are quite often cheaper to produce than
pre-recorded entertainment or documentaries they tend to fill a large
portion of the schedule. In some cases the show producers share
revenue from the phone calls, too. That makes them more attractive to
commissioning editors, I suspect.

Leo