Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Gian Constantine constantinegi at corp.earthlink.net
Tue Jan 9 00:27:08 UTC 2007

Well, yes. My view on this subject is U.S.-centric. In fairness to
me, this is NANOG, not AFNOG or EuroNOG or SANOG.

I would also argue storage and distribution costs are not
asymptotically zero with scale. Well designed SANs are not cheap.
Well designed distribution systems are not cheap. While price does
decrease when scaled upwards, the cost of such an operation remains
hefty, and increases with additions to the offered content library
and a swelling of demand for this content. I believe the graph
becomes neither asymptotic, nor anywhere near zero.

You are correct on the long tail nature of music. But music is not
consumed in a similar manner as TV and movies. Television and movies
involve a little more commitment and attention. Music is more for the
moment and the mood. There is an immediacy with music consumption.
Movies and television require a slight degree more patience from the
consumer. The freshness (debatable :-) ) of new release movies and TV
can often command the required patience from the consumer. Older
content rarely has the same pull.

I agree there is a market for ethnic and niche content, but it is not
the broad market many companies look for. The investment becomes much
more of a gamble than marketing the latest and greatest (again
debatable :-) ) to the larger market of...well...everyone.

Gian Anthony Constantine
Senior Network Design Engineer
Earthlink, Inc.
Office: 404-748-6207