Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sun Jan 7 23:53:42 UTC 2007

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> I have to admit that I have no idea how BT charges
> ISPs for wholesale ADSL. If there is indeed some kind
> of metered charging then Internet video will be a big
> problem for the business model.

They vary, it depends on what pricing model has been selected.

http://tinyurl.com/yjgsum has BT Central pipe pricing. Note those are
prices, not telephone numbers. ;-)

If you convert into per-megabit charges - at least an order of magnitude
greater than the cost of transit, and at least a couple of orders of
magnitude more than peering/partial transit.

p2p is no panacea to get around these charges; in the worst case p2p
traffic will just transit your central pipe twice, which means the
situation is worse with p2p not better.

For a smaller UK ISP, I do not know if there is a credible wholesale LLU
alternative to BT.

Note this information is of course completely UK-centric. A more
regionalised model (21CN?!) would change the situation.

Will