Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Sun Jan 7 21:15:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 12:35:54PM -0800, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>
> >Colm, a few random questions as they came to mind:    [;>]
>
> Two more questions:
>
> Do you plan to offer the Venice Project for mobile devices?  If so,
> which ones?
>
> Will you support offline storage/playback?

Now comes the "please forgive me" part, but most of your questions arn't
relevant to the NANOG charter, so you're going to have to mail our PR
dept for answers (see: http://www.theveniceproject.com/contact.html).
Answers to nearly all of them will be online soon anyway on our website,
we're not trying to hide anything, but this isn't the place :-)

I'll try to answer the questions which are relevant to Network
Operations, and I have not already answered, anyway;

	We use a very small set of ports, currently;

		TCP ports 80 and 443 - for various http requests
		TCP/UDP port 33333   - for p2p control traffic and
				       streaming
		TCP port port 5223   - for our jabber-powered
		                       channel-chat.
		UDP port 10000	     - for error reporting and
				       usage tracking. This port
				       is short term.

        Port 33333 is not fixed, and we should be making an IANA
        request soonish and then we'll change it, but again to
	just one port. So I guess we're not port-agile :-)

	We use HTTP(s) requests for making content searches,
	fetching thumbnails and so on. Right now, these
	requests are not cacheable, but are pretty small.

	Every peer is a cache, so in that sense we are cache friendly,
	but our protocol is not cacheable/proxyable by a man in the
	middle.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net