Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Jan 7 15:46:43 UTC 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> 1) Just unicasting it over the radio access network is going to use
> a lot of
> capacity, and latency will make streaming good quality tough.

I'm confused why high latency makes "streaming good quality tough"?

Perhaps this goes back to the "streaming" vs. "downloading" problem,
but every player I've ever seen on a personal computer buffers the
content for at least a second, and usually multiple seconds.  Latency
is measured in, at most, 10th of a second, and jitter another order
of magnitude less at least.

High latency links with stable throughput are much better for
streaming than low latency links with any packet loss, even without
buffering.

IOW: Latency is irrelevant.

--
TTFN,