Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sun Jan 7 14:18:30 UTC 2007

Dear Alexander;

On Jan 7, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> In the mobile world, there is a lot of telco-led activity around
> providing streaming video ("TV"), which always seems to boil down
> to the following points:

We (AmericaFree.TV) simulcast everything in 3GPP and 3GPP2 at a lower
bit rate for mobiles.
At present, the mobile audience for our video is

- 0.3% of the total for the last month
- doubling every 2 months or less.

It's not clear if this glass is mostly empty or half full, but there
is a data point FWIW.

> 1) Just unicasting it over the radio access network is going to use
> a lot of capacity, and latency will make streaming good quality tough.
>
> 2) Therefore, it has to be delivered in some sort of defined-QOS
> fashion or else over a dedicated, broadcast or one-way only radio
> link.
>
> 3) That means either a big centralised server we own, or another
> big radio network we own.
>
> 4)....
>
> 5) PROFIT!!

I have heard that several big mobile providers are shortly going to
come out with 802.16 networks in support (I
assume) of point 3.

Regards
Marshall