RIS [Re: AS41961 not seen in many networks]

Erik Romijn eromijn at ripe.net
Fri Jan 5 09:06:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 09:49:24AM +0100, Alexander Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 5 January 2007 08:11:41 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > Well, the undocumented fact is that RIS does not accept multi-hop BGP
> > peerings, which may somewhat limit its coverage.
>
> Why then do I have one? They do such things, they indeed do.

Indeed, we do have multi-hop peering sessions on one of our route
collectors (rrc00). That one is specifically used for multi-hop
peerings.
On the other collectors, placed on a specific exchange, we prefer to
only have peers from that exchange, to prevent confusion.

However, we can not accept unlimited numbers of peerings, especially
peerings where we receive a full table, multi-hop or not.
The maximum appears to be around 15 for each collector, depending on the
hardware used for it.

If you think we should have a peering with someone that we don't have
already, perhaps multi-hop, we are interested to know (with an
explanation).

(and we are always interested in any suggestions to improve RIS)

regards,
--
Erik Romijn                 RIPE NCC jr. software engineer
http://www.ripe.net/        Information Services dept.