Phishing and BGP Blackholing

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Jan 5 00:12:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 02:14:43PM +0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
> > Anyway, I wouldn't write a letter with nothing worth reading on the
> > first page. I don't write articles with nothing in the first
> > paragraph.
>
> Nor do I, but there is a well-established tradition
> in written English of the preamble. One could say that
> a brief quote to set the the context of a statement
> is perfectly good practice. Of course some people
> take it to excess like the ones who wrote this declaration
> a couple of hundred or so years ago:

I'm not sure it's fair to say they took it to excess.  All those words
mean something, bunkie.  Probably each one had a proponent who would not
have signed had not that word been in there, to give just that shade of
meaning to the document.  It was not written at random, unlike some
messages seen on the great public Internet.  ;-)  [Present company
excepted, of course.]

Much as we may snicker at the legal verbiage in some documents, many of
those words are there to close some loophole or another.  [The rest are
just there for us to snicker at.]

--
Joe Yao