NATting a whole country?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Jan 4 13:55:56 UTC 2007

On 4-jan-2007, at 14:37, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>>> all of Qatar appears on the net as a single IP address.

>> I wonder what they use the other 241663 addresses for.

> To address the many machines and networks in Qatar.
> The existence of a NAT gateway to one portion of the
> Internet does not remove the need for registered IP
> addresses.

Whatever.

The point is that IF it's true that they NAT (or proxy) the whole
country, it's not because of lack of addresses. In other words,
whatever ill effects befall them as a result, they only have
themselves to blame.

By the way, I have two different .qa domain names in my WWW logs, one
with "proxy" in it and one with "nat" in it...