Phishing and BGP Blackholing

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Wed Jan 3 01:20:01 UTC 2007

The biggest challenge I can see is scrubbing phishing reports that
aren't.. themselves.. maliciously crafted phishing attacks against a
registry of such addresses. Likewise, since BGP isn't application aware,
when you blackhole an address that's both website and mail server, how do
you inform the end user about their problem, or get a notice from them
that it's been fixed?

This kind of solution has a huge trust factor hole in it.

Distributing a BGP based blackhole list is trivial. The intelligence that
goes into it is the hard part. There are companies that provide managed
services like this (bgp blackhole route servers for known problem sites,
like drone C&C's). (disclaimer: I do development for one.)

- billn