FCC on wifi at hotel

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 28 22:38:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:18:24PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Steve Meuse wrote:
> >It's about revenue recovery. If you provide your own free wifi,
> >they are losing potential business. It's usually part of the
> >negotiation with the Hotel.
> >

> Yes, some Hotels will indeed want "revenue recovery" for this - they
> will typically start at the
> rental rate per person x the number of attendees x number of days,
> which could be $ 10K USD per day or more for a 1000 person meeting.
> You may or may not be able to negotiate it down; I think that in the
> IETF experience the
> "negotiate it down" factor has ranged from not at all to 100%.
>
> But, since it is part of the contract, they can certainly enforce
> whatever is agreed to.

	http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-157A1.pdf

	I do suggest reading this.  They can not legally bar you from
using the devices.  They can charge you outrageous fees to get to/from
the MMR or telco demarc and make it prohibitively expensive.

	It may also be problematic to be held hostage showing up
and them saying that no, you can not install your equipment while you
hire a lawyer to explain to them that you are violating FCC fules
for the "OTARD rules".

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net