broadband routers security issues

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at wvi.com
Fri Feb 23 18:25:43 UTC 2007

This is why we specify our DSL modems configured as transparent bridged
(routing optional) and when they go out the door they're already set up
as inaccessible from the outside, even if the customer enables routing
(I've seen one case in 5 years where the customer has done this without
calling us for help first).

Of course, I've discovered that we're also a bit unusual in that we use
RFC 1483 Bridged mode and static IPs instead of PPPoE and DHCP for all
our DSL connections.

We wouldn't accept this sort of default open accessability from Linksys,
D-link, Netgear, etc... - why should we accept it on our DSL/cable modems?

--
Jeff Shultz