rDNS naming

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 21:10:03 UTC 2007

--- Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
> (e.g. the Verizon
> FIOS deployment, if I
> may use hostnames of the form *.fios.verizon.net as
> a guide, is going
> well in NYC, Dallas, DC, Tampa, Philly, LA, Boston
> and Newark, but lags
> behind in Seattle, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and
> Syracuse.)

One thing to watch out for in interpreting rDNS is
that it can be deceptive.  As of about two weeks ago
(last time I checked), Verizon didn't offer FiOS in DC
at all.  What you're seeing is probably some of the
newer suburbs in Virginia (possibly Maryland too)
which are vaguely near DC.

$.02

-David

David Barak