botnets: web servers, end-systems and Vint Cerf

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Mon Feb 19 14:51:31 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 1:24 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

> You need, at minimum, weeks of training in order to safely operate an
> automobile. But to safely operate on the Internet, you simply open the
> box, plug the DSL cable into the DSL port of the
> NAT/firewall/switch/gateway box, plug the brand new unsecured computer
> into the Ethernet port, and you can now safely operate on the
> Internet.

That's right, you've made my point for me.  Weeks and weeks of training.

People don't need weeks and weeks of training to operate a
television, or a blender, or even a videogame console.

> The technical problem has been solved for a long, long time. The same
> factors which drive down the cost of computers, have also driven down
> the cost of NAT/firewall devices to the point where they could
> actually
> be integrated right into the PC's hardware.

NATting firewalls don't help at all with email-delivered malware,
browser exploits, etc.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

           The telephone demands complete participation.

                       -- Marshall McLuhan