RPSL question

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Sun Feb 18 01:53:33 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to learn about BGP and just ran across RPSL. I've seen
> www.radb.net and know that lots of people are registering their policies
> here. Are organizations also using these RPSL policies to compile
> configuration files for their routers (via RtConfig)? Or do they just
> maintain their RPSL policies and router configurations separately?
A few sites do, but I do not think there are many considering how hard
it is to express using RPSL a real complete configuration for a whole
network.

Since RtConfig used to be unreliable on modern Linux systems (I do not
know if the last release has been improved in this regard) I wrote my
own tool which generates as-path and prefix-list filters (and uRPF ACLs)
for customers and peers using the IRR data and local configuration files
listing the neighbors:
http://www.linux.it/~md/rpsltool-1.2.tgz

My opinion is that maintaining an aut-num object for the purpose of
generating your own configuration is pointless, but maintaining proper
route and as-set objects will greatly help your peers to build their
filters. (Yes, another of these situations where your actions will only
benefit the rest of the Internet and vice versa).

--
ciao,
Marco