botnets: web servers, end-systems and Vint Cerf

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Feb 16 17:51:10 UTC 2007

* michael.dillon at bt.com [Fri 16 Feb 2007, 18:27 CET]:
>You misunderstand. The problem of securing machines *IS* solved. It is
>possible. It is regularly done with servers connected to the Internet.

Given that even NASA has issues writing correct programs I would call it
far from "solved" for any reasonable definition of the word, even in
hyper-correct environments such as programming spacecraft where time and
budget constraints are secondary to safety (security).

Or did you forget to mention that your secured machine is powered off?

>There is no *COMPUTING* problem or technical problem.

Denying that there is a technical problem with a hundred million
machines out there not under full control of its owners is delusional.

>The problem of the 100 million machines is a social or business problem.
>We know how they can be secured, but the solution is not being
>implemented.

Clearly the solution you have in your mind isn't obvious to us out here
in the real world, nor simple, as we haven't figured it out yet.

	-- Niels.