botnets: web servers, end-systems and Vint Cerf

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 16 17:38:35 UTC 2007

> You misunderstand. The problem of securing machines *IS* solved. It is
> possible. It is regularly done with servers connected to the Internet.
> There is no *COMPUTING* problem or technical problem.
>
> The problem of the 100 million machines is a social or business problem.
> We know how they can be secured, but the solution is not being
> implemented.

Eh?  Sure, we can secure servers, but that's not where the trouble is.
It's the client systems with browsers and P2P software and people
mindlessly banging on keyboards running arbitrary executables.  I'm
interested in hearing how they can be secured, since you seem to believe
this is a solved problem.