RBL for bots?

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Fri Feb 16 15:35:04 UTC 2007

I had started to create a list for brute forcers and have been updating
them when I can. It's sort of like a personal RBL list with solely the
ip address of the offender based off of some scripts that I wrote. For
those interested, the script is twofold:

1) Script runs from cron checking /var/log/*secure/messages/etc,
depending on the system. If it finds an attacker it blocks them via
/etc/hosts.deny and or iptables
2) My version posts the attacking host to www.infiltrated.net/bruteforcers

When I started it, I hadn't heard of or used Denyhosts else I would have
modified that script in itself. When I first wrote sharpener, I had
intended on finding the abuse contact for the offending attacker and
send an automated reply with the date, time, host address and log file
information. Scenario:

Attack begins
Script sees attack
Script blocks out attack
Script checks the owner of the netblock and finds their abuse contact
Script sends an automated message stating something like: "At 02/17/07
10:20am EST, our host was attacked from a machine in your netblock. The
offending IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

I hadn't had the time to finish the whois $attacker|grep -i abuse
portion of it though, then I got bored, sidetracked. What I instead do
now is, I use the bruteforcer list from cron on all machines I
maintain/manage and have those machines auto block out attackers. The
theory is if one machine is getting attacked from luzerA, all machines
should block luzerA, and they do now:

http://www.infiltrated.net/sharpener for those interested in
modifying/finishing/tweaking the script.

As for creating an RBL such as SORBS or something along those lines.
Last I need is a packet attack or political "Take my netblock off!"
crap. Hence me not really wanting to bother updating it for the Interweb
folk. For those who find it useful, kudos... For those who want to
ramble on I have mail filters for you so don't bother.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams