wifi for 600, alex

Christian Kuhtz kuhtzch at corp.earthlink.net
Fri Feb 16 03:03:37 UTC 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Anton Kapela wrote:
[..]
> Anyway, I don't mean to stray too far off topic, but indeed there are
> many 'good' things already designed (some decades ago) and understood
> within the wireless community which would be well to appear in .11 at
> some point. Hopefully my comment makes more sense now! :)

Yes, that is true.  There are also mechanisms which have to be
invented completely from scratch because the architectural model is
different (decisions being made at the edge rather than an
"omniscient" controller).  Integration with other modes of mobile
communication is one such example.

It's an interesting problem to have, but it also makes the standard
very challenging as there is amendment after amendment with lots of
old non-compliant devices around from before the time when a feature
was invented.

[..]

>> in WiFi is of limited availability in chipsets today, not to
>> mention incompatible with non- scheduled access.
>
> Check out EDCF. It's not changing any fundamental part other than the
> radios behavior during CCA backoff, and any client can benefit from
> it.
> Also, I explain how it works briefly in the lightning talk video.

Maybe I really need to start thinking about creating a proposal for a
talk at NANOG for service provider issues in Wi-Fi, such as those we
live every day in my (mostly) day job.  Hmm.

Best regards,
Christian