wifi for 600, alex

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Thu Feb 15 05:02:16 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. Isolate the wireless network from the main conference network /
> backbone so that critical stuff (streaming content for workshop and
> other presentations, the rego system etc) gets bandwidth allocated to
> it just fine, without it being eaten up by hungry laptops.

The oft-overlooked 802.11a is great for this purpose when there isn't
enough wiring infrastructure to drop a RJ45 in all the necessary
conference rooms.  Whereas 802.11[bgn] has only three (or four,
depending on who you quote) mostly non-overlapping frequencies -- even
less when MIMO is in use -- 802.11a has eight *completely*
non-overlapping standard channels.  In nice open conference hall space
with at most two walls in the way, the rated shorter range of 11a is
actually not so noticeable because of the lack of radio noise.

2.4GHz is soooooo last decade.  ;)

(The 802.11[bgn] density where I live is so high that I resorted to
installing 802.11a throughout my house.  Zero contention for airwaves
and I can actually get close to rated speed for data transmission.)