Wireless Network Question

Azinger, Marla marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com
Wed Feb 14 22:09:37 UTC 2007

Hello-  I'm looking for anyone that can send me some suggestions based on experience with a wireless network.

My problem:
It is possible with our current wireless network that a situation could arise where the IP address pool for a specific service location could be exhausted due to Windows clients acquiring an IP address without being authenticated. Thus, if we have a large event taking place in-market, the IP addresses would be assigned and reassigned out (on a one-hour lease) to each Windows client connected to the network, possibly quickly exhausting a small IP address pool if enough clients were simultaneously up and connected.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to avoid this from happening (aside from over assigning and wasting IP addresses or ignoring the problem)?

Thank you for your time
MArla Azinger
Frontier Communications