Every incident is an opportunity (was Re: Hackers hit key Internet traffic computers)

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Mon Feb 12 11:50:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 10:13 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Sure, just find these few simple things that will actually improve
> security. (My personal one would be "Erase MS-Windows and install
> Ubuntu". If we are ready to inconvenience ordinary workers with
> computer security, this one would be a good start.)

Isn't that like treating smallpox with anthrax?

Consumers are cheap and lazy. What they need is a serious incentive to
care about security. Society holds individuals accountable for many
forms of irresponsible behaviour. There's no need to make exceptions for
computer users. Make computer-owners/users pay in full for damages
caused by their equipment with no discount for incompetence. Insecure
products might then be considered inappropriate for public consumption
and that would be a powerful signal to the IT industry to change their
ways. Maybe the market also finally would challenge the validity (or
even existence) of std.disclaimer statements common in today's software
licences.

--

Per Heldal - http://heldal.eml.cc/