death of the net predicted by deloitte -- film at 11

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Mon Feb 12 11:24:25 UTC 2007

> 10 or 1000 channels it's going to be better than not using it. I don't
> see the logic in using it for nothing because it's not good for some
> things.

Multicast isn't going to help the phoneco atm network. Whatever model
emerges will only work if it works all the way to the end user. If you have
a weak link in the chain then the chain breaks and right now that weak link
is the last 2 miles. You can't pump gigE bandwidth speed over a DS3 to a
dslam because you have 65 users watching HD content at 6pm.

But if you accept that the average user only watches 3-6 hours of HDTV per
day, you can spread the load out over 24 hours, the effects on available
bandwidth can be reduced. The TIVO model appears to have an advantage for
the viewer (a large archive to select from) and for the phoneco's and ISP's
at the customer end.

Geo.