death of the net predicted by deloitte -- film at 11

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Feb 11 18:26:53 UTC 2007

-Chris, still-waiting-for-the-rapture, wrote as follows:

> (or did I miss the hue and cry on nanog-l about full pipes and no more fiber
> to push traffic over? wasn't there in fact a hue and cry about a 1) fiber
> glut, 2) only 4% of all fiber actually lit?)

:-).  however, you did seem to miss the hue and cry about how ALL YOUR BASE
ARE BELONG TO GOOGLE now.  a smattering of this can be found at:

* http://www.internetoutsider.com/2006/04/how_much_dark_f.html
* http://dondodge.typepad.com/the_next_big_thing/2005/11/google_data_cen.html

now as to whether this is true, or whether it's a prevent-defense meant to
strangle the redmond folks before the redmond folks know they needed fiber
or whether google actually needs the capacity, or whether it's possible to
lock up the market for more than couple of years, given that more capacity
can be laid in once all the LRU's are signed... who the heck knows or cares?

but hue there has been, and cry also, and measurement weenettes are likely
banging their foreheads against their powerbook screens while they read our
uninformed "4%" estimates.