broken DNS proxying at public wireless hotspots

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Feb 3 19:29:13 UTC 2007

> Sure I could route dns queries out through a ssh tunnel but the
> latency makes this kind of thing unusable at times.

instead of an ssh tunnel, how about simple port forwarding?

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1

And then whatever it takes to forward 127.0.0.1:53 to a dns that is listing on
some other port?

hmm, I think running a local caching dns was mentioned, but the parts that may
have been un-verified:

man named

        -p port
               Listen for queries on port port. If not specified,  the  default
               is port 53.

man named.conf
  	everywhere there is an address, there is also the option to specify port:  (
ipv4_address | * ) [ port ( integer | * ) ]

Carl K