broken DNS proxying at public wireless hotspots

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sat Feb 3 07:11:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:00:29AM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Thus spake "Trent Lloyd" <lathiat at bur.st>
> >One thing I have noticed to be unfortunately more common that I would
> >like is routers that misunderstand IPv6 AAAA requests and return an
> >A record of 0.0.0.1
> >
> >So if you are using (for the most part) anything other than windows,
> >or
> >Windows Vista, this may be related to what you are seeing.
>
> The same is true if you've enabled IPv6 on XP.  Unfortunately, it's hard
> to find a hotel network these days that _doesn't_ break when presented
> with AAAA queries.
>
> I'm hoping that the flood of support calls from Vista users will
> pressure them to get their systems fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.
> They'll probably just make "disable IPv6" part of their standard
> troubleshooting routine, just like telling you to reboot your PC.  After
> all, nobody uses it, right?

Unfortunately this is something I'm afraid of, currently there is a long
running bug[1] in the Ubuntu bug tracker on why they should disable IPv6 by
default, which makes me sad, but I can understand why they would think
that because to them it provides no advantage (yet), yet when disabled,
it works for them.

I have considered if some kind of "workaround" to the resolver which
would ignore returns of 0.0.0.1 (possibly if there are other addresses,
or only if AAAA is requested, etc)

Is anyone aware of other "weird" things some routers return? Personally
I have only seen 0.0.0.1 coming back.

Cheers,
Trent

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/24828