WWPVD

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Feb 1 17:22:53 UTC 2007

 > I suppose in some universe, it *IS* possible that Paul could be found
negligent by some jury trial and ordered to pay millions of dollars.
 > But that's the same universe were swine routinely fly to and fourth
across the green sky.

Apparently you've never been in a jury trial and hopefully you won't
have to be.

The problems (to some this is the solution) with jury trials is, define
"peer". You're under the impression - if on a worst case scenario there
was a jury trial - that, Paul would be sitting with a jury of his peers.
Peers in the sense that those hearing the case would be in his
demographic range: Computer Engineer (heck even an avid user) of some
form, around his age, hopefully in the same profession. Often what will
happen is some poor shmoe will be sitting on the case, bored by the fact
he won't understand anything, the explanation of it all will be
convoluted, aggravated that he/she has to sit at a jury trial (how many
people loathe jury duty). Couple this with moronic logic: "If I was
suing I would want someone to have mercy on my pockets" ... So GUILTY!
So while Chivalry may be dead frivolry (Yes another
Bushism/craptabulous/butchery of a word) isn't...

What I would do is offer a warning of sorts for the duration of 90 days
and pull the plug with copies of messages that were sent forewarning
(l)users  of impending changes. This to some degree exonerates you from
possible repercussions. Now before you take my advice, this is based of
logic not factual law as (obviously) IANAL.