what the heck do i do now?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Feb 1 14:50:28 UTC 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> bear with me, this appears to be about DNS but it's actually about
> e-mail.
>
> maps.vix.com has been gone since 1999 or so.  mail-abuse.org is the
> new thing.
> i've tried just about everything to get traffic toward the old
> domain name to
> stop... right now there's a DNAME but it made no real difference.
> i've taken
> the maps.vix.com domain away.  i've set its NS to "localhost".
> i've put long

Instead of using localhost how about you set the NS record to
'baddns.vix.com' and have an A record pointing to some of your dead
IP space.  That way the RBL client on the mail server will wait for a
while attempting to connect to a dead machine.  This will create a
log jam at the inbound SMTP daemon, spinning off lots of processes,
hopefully jacking up the load on the box and tweaking somebody's
interested.  Maybe even a tarpit type machine that can string the RBL
client along long enough to cause enough delay/processes on the
server to mean something.  It is probably safe to assume if they are
still using the domain after 8 years they probably don't have
timeouts set for the RBL client lookups.  Route the dead IP to a
bogus LAN so you don't ARP yourself to death.

-Matt
--
Matthew S. Crocker
President