what the heck do i do now?

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu Feb 1 04:19:04 UTC 2007

As an, ahem, lawyer, I think what you do and how you do it matter a lot
here.  And it would be prudent to talk to someone who understood your
facts and situation before doing some of the things discussed in this
thread.  (I won't be more specific for fear of sounding like I'm giving
legal advice, YMMV, probably not admitted where you live, if this were
advice it would trigger a bill, see generally disclaimers at
http://www.law.tm/disclaimers.html .)

Pulling a plug after reasonable/lots of warnings (did you miss anyone? how
do you know for sure?) is on the safer end of the legal spectrum.

Trying something that has the noble intention of directing cluebat to
cranial density... well, that's different.  It has the ability to be spun
as malicious.  Will the judge and jury get it?  Who will pay for the
lawyer who will explain it to them?  What if it was a government computer
that got hosed?  Will this be civil or criminal liability?

Bottom line is that in the absence of a promise -- explicit or implicit
(!) -- to the contrary, you can usually turn off your gear and get on with
your life (but would you want to if it was a hospital that got hosed? how
would you feel in the morning?).  The more your actions deviate from that,
the more likely you are taking on some level of risk.  In some scenarios
it's an acceptable level, but it all depends.

It is impossible to know with any confidence without knowing more details,
but from the face of it, it is far from obvious to me that Mark Foster's
lawyer got this wrong.

(Meanwhile, this will make a great exam question some day.)

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
                        -->It's warm here.<--