what the heck do i do now?

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Feb 1 01:15:41 UTC 2007

Paul Vixie wrote:
> bear with me, this appears to be about DNS but it's actually about e-mail.
>
> maps.vix.com has been gone since 1999 or so.  mail-abuse.org is the new thing.
> i've tried just about everything to get traffic toward the old domain name to
> stop... right now there's a DNAME but it made no real difference.
Paul,

Not offering a solution but a bit of an explanation perhaps...

From: http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.html
"If you do not supply any -r options, rblsmtpd tries an RBL source of
rbl.maps.vix.com. This will be changed in subsequent versions."

So checking the last released version:
/ucspi-tcp-0.88# grep -hn maps.vix.com rblsmtpd.c
193:  if (flagwantdefaultrbl) rbl("rbl.maps.vix.com");

Looks like that could be a cause of some of your pain...
Not everyone runs rblsmptd on their mailserver, but I know lots of large
mail servers that run rblsmptd (qmail).

The fact that the option is the default without being explicit means
that at least some folks don't even know maps.vix.com zones are no
longer present and the current failure case is not impacting them.

-david ulevitch