what the heck do i do now?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Feb 1 00:11:17 UTC 2007

> One thing you might consider is putting together a script to harvest email
> addresses from whois records that correspond to the PTR for the querying
> IPs.  Add to that list abuse, postmaster, webmaster, hostmaster, etc @ the
> poorly run domain.  Then fire off a message explaining the situation and
> that you'll be adding a wildcard record on such and such date (preferably
> not 4/1).  Script all of this and run it every couple of days until the
> date you gave and then follow through with the wildcard entry.  This
> undoubtedly won't stop all of the whining but you can at least say you
> tried.

volunteers are welcome to apply for that job.

> Perhaps you can get CNet or InfoWorld to pick it and write a story about the
> service and the impending change.

that, conversely, would be fun.

> When it comes right down to it, you've got to do what you've got to do to
> recover your domain.  You provided a service that many of us relied upon.
> The responsibility rests on our shoulders to keep up with the changing
> times.  7-8 years is more than enough time for even the laziest of mail
> admins to update their config.  Think about how much bandwidth has been
> wasted over the years with these errant queries...

about 1 billionth as much as has been wasted by RFC1918-sourced DNS queries
sent to the root name servers OR RFC1918-domained DNS updates sent to AS112.
therefore i treat it as a personal annoyance but NOT a waste in its own right.