v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Dec 28 00:33:08 UTC 2007

In a message written on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 10:57:59PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> It is wih IPv6: you just connect the ethernet cable and the RAs take
> care of the rest. _You_ _really_ _don't_ _need_ _DHCP_ _for_ _IPv6_.
> If you need extreme control then manual configuration will give you
> that, which may be appropriate in some cases, such as servers.

Really.  I didn't know RA's could:

- Configure NTP servers for me.
- Tell me where to netboot from.
- Enter dynamic DNS entries in the DNS tree for me.
- Tell me my domain name.
- Tell me the VLAN to use for IP Telephony.

Those are things I use on a regular basis I'd really rather not
manually configure.