v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Dec 27 11:11:54 UTC 2007

On 27 dec 2007, at 11:57, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> "Configure this stuff manually" may work for a small number of
> customers. It is highly undesirable (and probably won't be considered
> at all) in an environment with, say, 1 million customers.

Of course not. But RAs on a subnet with a million customers doesn't
work either, nor does DHCP on a subnet with a million customers.

If we're talking about provisioning cable/DSL/FTTH users, that's a
completely different thing. Here, DHCPv6 prefix delegation to a CPE
which then provides configuration to hosts on its LAN side would be
the most appropriate option. However, the specifics of that model need
to be worked out as there are currently no ISPs and no CPEs that do
that, as far as I know.