v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Dec 26 06:18:07 UTC 2007

Randy Bush wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> equipment makers (as much as randy hates them)
>
> excuse?!?!?  that is unjustified and uncalled for.
>
> vendors, like everyone else, will do what is in their best interests.
> as i am an operator, not a vendor, that is often not what is in my best
> interest, marketing literature aside.  i believe it benefits the ops
> community to be honest when the two do not seem to coincide.

If the ops community doesn't provide enough addresses and a way to use
them then the vendors will do the same thing they did in v4. It's not
clear to me where their needs don't coincide in this case.

there are three legs to the tripod

	network operator

	user

	equipment manufacturer

They have (or should have) a mutual interest in:

	Transparent and automatic configuration of devices.

	The assignment of globally routable addresses to internet
	connected devices

	the user having some control over what crosses the boundry
	between their network and the operators.